10 Tips On How To Be Good To YOURSELF This Holiday Season
A Guest Post by Marie-Christine Lochot, NCTMB (republished with permission)
No matter which holiday you celebrate, 'tis the season to take care of yourself. Here are 10 easy tips to get you through the hustle and bustle of the next six weeks!
1. Stick to your exercise routine. If you don't have one, walk at least 30 minutes a day -- preferably outside.
2. Take a break to breathe. Sit down, close your eyes, inhale through the nose, exhale through the mouth. Repeat for 5 minutes.
3. Eat before attending a party or dinner. Have a healthy snack so you are not too hungry when you get there.
4. Increase your intake of fruits and vegetables. Start now and continue every day between parties and dinners throughout the season.
5. Indigestion? Place your hands on top of each other between the base of the sternum and navel. Rotate in a counterclockwise direction a few times and then reverse to a clockwise direction. Continue the motion for a few minutes.
6. Quick Refresher: rub your hands together for a few seconds and then lightly rub your face.
7. Shopping: Remember that it is the spirit of the Holidays which matters most, not the gifts.
8. Give and receive a foot rub from a loved one.
9. Get a massage before the holidays to reduce stress, then again afterward to recover AND to center yourself for the new year.
10. Enjoy the Holidays!
Live fully and savor the present moments as the future is so unpredictable. We can reduce the stresses in our lives and be nicer to ourselves, to our bodies, and to our souls, with a few simple steps.
Here is a quote by Etty Hillesum to start you on your way:
Ultimately, we have just one moral duty: to reclaim large areas of peace in ourselves, more and more peace, and to reflect it toward others. And the more peace there is in us, the more peace there will be in our troubled world.
You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.
The comments to this entry are closed.
@The Bead Dreamer: Thx. Glad it can help. Marie-Christine's list of tips are so simple, and yet, so important. My challenge is sticking to an exercise routine, it seems especially difficult at this time of year because the days get so filled up.
Posted by: Luci Weston | November 2009 at 09:32 PM
Great post and things I definitely need to remember. We just get so rushed and busy and put ourselves last too often. This is very timely as we enter the holiday season.
Posted by: The Bead Dreamer | November 2009 at 08:03 PM